Saturday, August 18, 2007

Inertia vs. Entropy


From Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th Edition:

inertia: a property of matter by which it remains at rest or in uniform motion in the same straight line unless acted upon by some external force

entropy: the degradation of the matter and energy in the universe to an ultimate state of inert uniformity

These two laws of nature have long been constants in my life. When I only look away for a moment, my house (and sometimes my entire life, it seems) is attacked by some kind of speed-of-light form of uber-entropy. And looking at it, and thinking about trying to oppose it, seems such a hopeless proposition, that I end up doing absolutely nothing. Ok, it's not quite as bad as all that, but sometimes it feels that way.

I've had an idea for a small craft item that I've been kicking around for years. I've moved the templates and supplies for it from Dallas to Richardson to Casa Linda to Farmers Branch to Oak Cliff to Wills Point, and finally now to Kerrville. A good friend has offered to make a website and show me how to set up on e-bay to give this idea at least a decent shot. So, either it will be entertaining and profitable, or it will be something that I gave a good try, and I can lay it to rest.

You can see the picture I took above (I meant to paste it in right here, where I'm typing about it, but that's not exactly what happened. *sigh*) - not the one that will ultimately end up on the website or e-bay, which will be taken with a better camera, and with a 2.0 version of the product. Here we have a 1.0 version of a Dream Dolly. I had some 1.1's, but I guess I gave them away over the last few years. So - Susie, Lisa, and any of the rest of you with Dolly prototypes - you could have major historical artifacts, there. And wish me luck - I'm scared to death that it won't fly - or that it will!

No comments: